2nd Annual Mark Lemenager Scholarship Program
In 2016 the Yuba-Sutter Fair created the Mark Lemenager Scholarship in honor of a great man. Mark was a huge part of the Yuba-Sutter Fair for many, many years, supporting the staff with setting up the fairgrounds in the livestock area, supporting kids on auction day and helping to make sure the livestock area was running smoothly. Mark was hard working, a great role model for people in the community as well as every child’s life he touched. The 2016 animal was raised by Lexi Smestadmoen, named the hog ‘Integrity’ because of the type of character Mark Lemenager had.
On August, 6, 2016 Integrity was sold at the 2016 Yuba-Sutter Fair Auction for a total of $16,850! 2016, the Mark Lemenager Scholarship Committee awarded scholarship’s to Madison Goss for $1,000 and to MaKenzie Halstead for $500, contributing to their college education.
It is now 2017, and we are putting together the 2017 Mark Lemenager Scholarship Program, in 2 parts: 1 – being the animal application and 2 – the money scholarships available to graduating seniors.
Below is the application to raise the 2017 animal which is a pig again this year, being donated for a 2nd year by TL Showpigs (Thank you!) If you have any questions, please call the Fair office @ 674-1280. Good luck to everyone that applies!!!
Part 1 – Mark Lemenager Scholarship Animal Award- 2017 Swine – Carlie Eads of Marysville FFA was selected as the recipient for 2017!
General Rules & Requirements
1. The goal is to raise a quality market animal to show at fair and sell in the auction. The money raised from this animal will be used for the Mark Lemenager Memorial Scholarship Fund.
2. This animal does not take the place of the individual’s own market animal.
3. The animal and feed will be supplied, so there is no cost to the individual raising the animal. In fact, the student selected will receive a check for $250.
4. The applicant must provide a sufficient (according to the selection committee) pen to house the animal, including feeders, waters, shade, etc. The committee will come to see the facility.
5. There will be a committee member that oversees the project. You can contact them if there are any problems with the scholarship animal. The committee member will also make periodic visits to check on the project’s progress.
6. Raising the scholarship animal has the same responsibilities as raising any other show animal. This includes working with the animal so it can be shown properly at fair time. During the fair it is the responsibility of the individual to feed, water and care for the animal, including keeping the pen clean. Bedding will be supplied.
7. Transportation to the fair will be determined between the committee and the applicant.
8. The scholarship animal will have its own designated pen during the fair with signage indicating it is the Mark Lemenager Memorial Scholarship Animal. The applicant is encouraged to create signage with their name and a few specifics about their experience raising their project animal which will be displayed at either the pen or at a designated area at the livestock office.
9. The individual will have a contract with the fair for the duration of the project. It will be signed by the individual, the parent/guardian, the applicant’s individual project leader and a Mark Lemenager Memorial Scholarship committee representative.
10. The Scholarship Animal is being donated by TL Showpigs again this year, the feed is being donated by Grange Co-op and Tottles is donating the Cut/Wrap again this year.
Those interested in apply to raise the Scholarship animal will be required to turn in a completed application (link below) as well as complete Parts 1-3 (description below).
Click this link for the application: Application to Raise and Show Scholarship Animal 2017
Monday……..TUESDAY April 4, 2017 @ 5 pm
The 2017 applicants will be required to complete the following in addition to turning in a completed Animal Application:
Part 1: In one page or less, please list chronologically all 4-H, FFA or other fair related activities for the past 3 years. Please provide a brief summary of the projects you’ve had and the lessons learned from your experiences, successful or otherwise.
Part 2: In one page or less, please explain the reason(s) you want to raise the 2017 Scholarship Animal.
Part 3: The committee will select 3-5 applicants for an interview to determine who raises the scholarship animal.
Part 2 – Mark Lemenager Memorial Money Scholarship for college – looking for help with college and you already participate at the Yuba-Sutter Fair?? Apply for the 2017 Mark Lemenager $$ Scholarship! Deadline is June 23rd at 5 pm.
There will be 4 scholarships given this year; 2 – $1000 and 2 – $500 awarded to lucky recipients on Sunday, August 6th at the Awards Ceremony starting at 11 am.
To be nominated for the scholarship, a student must:
1. Be a self-motivator, have a strong work ethic, be helpful to everyone and a behind the scenes kind of person.
2. Have a high school cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better; please submit a high school transcript with the application.
3. Be planning on attending a college or other postgraduate program starting in the fall semester following graduation.
4. Be available to the Scholarship Committee for an interview.
5. Have an animal or vocational project that qualifies for the Junior Livestock Auction in the year awarded.
Please contact the Yuba-Sutter Fair office @ 674-1280 for more information.